Ken Yazel — Biography
Ken Yazel was elected Tulsa County Assessor in 2002 and was re-elected in 2006, 2010, and again in 2014. As Assessor, he is responsible for placing a fair cash (market) value on property as of the tax date. Oklahoma property taxes are "ad valorem", meaning the taxes are based on the property value. This value is converted into an assessment, which is one component in the computation of real property tax bills. The Assessor has no jurisdiction or responsibility for taxing jurisdiction budgets or establishing the tax rate.
Tulsa County Assessor
A retired Major, U.S. Marine Corps, Yazel served as a radio operator, parachutist, Vietnamese Interrogator-Translator, Nuclear Artillery Officer, Recruiting Officer, and Financial Management Officer. In 1982, he was recognized as the Marine Corps Fiscal Director's Top Budget Officer. While serving our country, Yazel rose through the ranks from Private to Staff Sergeant before being commissioned as a Marine Corps officer, and in his 13 years as an officer he served in command for six years.
In 1983, he passed the Certified Public Accounting (CPA) exam on his first try and worked with Income, Estate and Gift tax clients along with other business clients. After working as a CPA for several years, he went on to be the founder, owner and CEO of several companies in the Tulsa area. Two of those successful companies are title and escrow operations serving the commercial and residential markets. In 2003, he was recognized with advanced accreditation under the Oklahoma Accreditation Program for assessors.
In addition, Yazel has served as a Precinct Officer for the Tulsa County Election Board from 1984-2000, and in 2002 he graduated from the Tulsa County Sheriff's Academy. As a Reserve Deputy, Yazel earned the Meritorious Service Award in 2005.
Educational Highlights (Course of Study):
- Oklahoma University 1965-1969
- Bachelor of Science in Math
- Minors in Nuclear Physics with Engineering emphasis, and Philosophy
- Naval Post Graduate School 1979
- Financial Management
- Wharton School of Finance in Philadelphia, PA 1976-1979
- George Washington University and American University in Washington, D.C. 1979-1982
- Business Law and Accounting
- University of Tulsa Graduate School 1982-1983
- Accounting, Management, Statistics
- Oklahoma State University 2003
- Advanced Appraiser
- The Retired Officer Association / Military Officers Association of America (MOAA)
- The Marine Corps League
- The American and The Oklahoma Society of Public Accountants
- International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO)
- National Sheriff's Association
- County Officers & Deputies Association (CODA)
- Oklahoma County Assessors Association-appointed to serve on Legislative Committee by peers
- Tulsa County Chambers of Commerce